Friday 12 June 2015

The C Word

This one is for new parents, or anyone who is interesting in reading about just one of the challenging aspects of becoming a new parent.
I had never heard of colic before, I never imagined that newborn babies could cry so much, and so loud. I have never felt so helpless in all my life.
I went through childbirth, my little boy was circumcised, he endured the pain of teething, but it's the colic that was the hardest thing to deal with, for us first time parents and our newborn baby.
I'm not an expert on colic, but having done my research I feel that I know my fair bit.
For the best part of eight weeks my baby cried, constantly for several hours every night. His face was bright red, his screech was so loud and comforting him seemed impossible. He was healthy, taking down his milk without a problem (despite having reflux) and was a happy baby during the day.

My advice for dealing with colic:
  • Massage your baby's tummy. Move the legs in the bicycle motion.
  • Invest in Dr Brown's bottles: Online retailers
  • Ask your doctor about colief
  • Ask your doctor about Infacol 
  • As soon as your baby turns 4 weeks start giving them gripe water 
  • Keep soothers, comforters, massage oil at hand so you are prepared when colic related crying strikes
  • To avoid exhaustion, sleep when your baby sleeps. This way you can be ready for your ear drums to burst when the little one decides to have a colic crying fit. 
The following websites have some great (professional) advice for colic:

babycentre.co.uk
netmums.com
Bupa.co.uk 

The first few weeks of parenthood are exciting, amazing, tiring and very challenging. That's in any case, with colic the tiredness, stress and exhaustion is doubled. There is no quick fix for colic, but the suggestions that I have given helped me to be in as much control of the crying as possible. Sometimes it reduced the crying, other times i didn't make any difference. But I was in control, I was doing something and I didn't feel like a useless mum while my baby was crying his eyes out.

On the off chance that someone has found an instant cure for colic, please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment