Wednesday 17 June 2015

Dear Mummy-to-be

I wish I had realised how much my life would change after I became a mum. I like to think that I made the most of the time that I had to myself, although there's a few things I probably would have done while I had the time (sorting out the spare room is just one of the jobs I will probably never get round to doing now)
It's taken me a while to actually think back to this time last year and recall what I did with my time. 
I never really took much notice of people when they told me that I wouldn't get as much time to myself after I have a baby. I thought they were exaggerating, that's how gullible I was. 

So here's a list of things that I enjoyed doing before I was running around after my little gremlin. 
If you're a mummy-to-be please take note. Enjoy! 

  • Indulge in long soaks in the bath. If you're struggling to sleep then this bath soak from Mum and Me will work wonders for you, it has camomile in it and really relaxes you if you have a bath before bedtime.
  • Have as many lie-ins as you can. I've always been an early bird, one of those annoying people who's body clock wakes them up super early even at the weekends. Boy do I miss my rare lie-ins now. I won't scare any sleep lovers by revealing my daily wake-up time....
  • Catch up with your girls. Have movie nights, dinner, or just a good ol' chinwag. It's nice to see your friends, even nicer without a cheeky gremlin in tow who steals all the attention. 
  • Date nights! What's that again? Oh yeah I remember now. Squeeze in a date night as often as you can. Cook together, eat together, go to the movies, go out for a meal. I don't mean to sound so bossy but surely you can feel my frustration. If not for yourself then do it for me! Hubby's long working hours + bubba's early bedtime = no date nights for us. So enjoy them while you can, it's easier to arrange a date night when you're not worrying about babysitters etc. 
  • Pamper yourself. Get your hair done, treat yourself to a facial, paint your nails. Indulge in some beauty therapy, if that's your thing. You'll look and feel fabulous, more importantly you'll look every inch the yummy mummy once your bundle of joy comes along. 
  • Retail therapy! This is probably the last thing on your mind, but if you like to get dressed up and look nice (which most of us do) then buying a few outfits for your post baby wardrobe is a sensible idea. No need to spend a fortune, just a few pieces that you can slip into when you are out with bubba. Take it from someone who has had just a few wardrobe related meltdowns since becoming a mum. It's nice to have something new, and clean to wear when you're out and about showing off your baby (who happens to have reflux, but that's another story for a different day) 
  • Finally, devote time to your hobbies. Whether that's reading, painting, cooking, baking, sunbathing. Whatever you like doing in your spare time, do it  while you have some spare time. Newborn babies require a lot of your attention and if you are anything like me then you will probably forget what you enjoyed doing before you became a mum. Luckily it doesn't last forever, once babies get into a routine then you will have time to do the things you love.
Hope this has helped, and not scared any mumy's-to-be too much!

H x 

No comments:

Post a Comment